Quiche are great fast and healthy meals for families on the go. All it takes are a few eggs and some personalized ingredients to make the best meal your family could ever have! From breakfast and brunch to dinner and lunch, quiche is a hit every time of day.
It all starts with the basics: eggs and milk. To make two regular 9 inch pies sized quiche I used six eggs and one cup of milk. Beat them together with a whisk or fork until slightly fluffy. Then add salt and pepper to taste. This will be the basis for your quiche.
I bought pre made pie shells, but you can opt to make your own if you wish. Just keep in mind that it will take longer to put together that way.
Next add your ingredients. For one quiche I left it super simple. I took a ham steak and cut up two thirds of it into bite sized chunks. Then I added about a cup of shredded cheddar cheese. Some minced garlic and onion powder and the base was done.
I mixed it together and then poured half of the egg and milk mixture into the pie crust.
For the other quiche I added a few more ingredients. Frozen chopped spinach, mushrooms, Feta cheese, minced garlic, onion powder, and the rest of the ham went into that crust. I mixed it together and poured the remaining egg and milk mixture over the top.
I put the quiche in the oven at 375 degrees for about an hour. For some reason my oven wasn’t heating well so it took almost an hour and a half for mine to get done. But you will know when it is done because it will start to brown on top and it will be mostly solid throughout. You want the center to be still slightly undercooked when you take it out as it will finish cooking a few minutes after it is removed from the oven.
If you want a crisper crust, mine came out a bit mushy, try baking your empty pie shells for a few minutes before cooling and filling them.
That’s all there is to it! I made a batch of chocolate chip cookies to go with it for dessert and everyone was pleased with the results. It takes only minutes to toss it together and makes for a great healthy meal everyone can enjoy.
Easy Family Friendly Quiche
2 nine inch pie shells
1 cup milk
Salt and pepper to taste
1 ham steak, cubed
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 tablespoon minced garlic
4 ounces Feta cheese, crumbled
6 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed
3 large fresh mushrooms, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Bake pre made shells if crisp crust is desired. Cool completely before filling.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together six whole eggs and one cup of milk until slightly fluffy.
4. Add salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
5. Cut the ham steak into bite sized cubes.
6. In one pie shell, place 2/3 of cubed ham and 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese.
7. Add 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder and 1⁄2 tablespoon garlic. Mix well.
8. Pour half of milk and egg mixture over top and let settle.
9. In the other pie shell, place remaining 1/3 cubed ham.
10. Add 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder and 1⁄2 tablespoon garlic.
11. Add Feta crumbles, thawed spinach and chopped mushrooms. Mix well.
12. Pour remaining egg and milk mixture over top and let settle.
13. Bake for one hour or until mostly set.
14. Remove from oven and let sit for ten minutes before serving.
_ _ _ _ _
About: Ken Myers is a father of three and passionate about great childcare. He’s always looking for ways to help families find the support they need to live fuller, richer lives. Find out more about expert childcare by checking out @go_nannies on Twitter.